New Providence is a borough on the northwestern edge of Union County, New Jersey, United States. It is located on the Passaic River, which forms the county boundary with Morris County. As of the 2010 United States Census, the population was 12,171, reflecting an increase of 264 (+2.2%) from the 11,907 counted in the 2000 Census.
The written history of New Providence begins in 1664 when James, Duke of York and brother to King Charles II, purchased the land that became known as the Elizabethtown Tract from the Lenape Native Americans. Its first European settlers were members of a Puritan colony established in 1720, which was the first permanent settlement of its type. The settlement was originally called “Turkey” or “Turkey Town”, due to the presence of wild turkeys in the area.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough had a total area of 3.665 square miles, including 3.640 square miles of land and 0.025 square miles of water.